These lovely pancakes do not require the usual “drop 1/3 cup of batter on to pan, wait until golden brown, turn, take off the heat, repeat” type of process. In fact, they hardly require any attending.Â Just mixing and baking it.Â First I came across it in The Iron Skillet Cookbook once I have borrowed from the library, tried and loved the result.Â This was 8 months ago and I thought I wrote about it here, too.Â I guess I only wrote in the Turkish version of this site, cannot find it in the archive.Â Anyhow, last weekend we made them again, topping with fresh strawberry and banana slices.Â It was really good.Â I can recommend to anyone, especially if you are looking for a treat for your weekend breakfast.
We used 2 of the 8 inch (20cm) cast iron skillets, you can use a single 12 inch for a thicker result, if you do not have multiple skillets.Â I assume any oven proof skillet would work, nonetheless I suggest the cast iron ones.
Oven Puffed Pancakes
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Total of 2 – 3 cups of fresh strawberry and banana slices
- 1/3 cup of powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Put a tablespoon of butter in each skillet, heat in 400F (200C) oven until butter melts. In the mean time mix all the rest of the ingredients well.Â Pour into skillets, bake until puffed, golden brown, about 15mins
- Make the topping while the pancakes are baking: mix the sliced fresh fruit with sugar and lemon juice, toss well
- Remove the pancakes from skillet, top with the fruit slices, serve warm.